Did you know…?
- After the birth, breastfeeding encourages normal contractions that help to return the mother’s uterus to its pre-pregnant state.
- Formula has between 25 and 45 ingredients, while breastmilk has over 200 ingredients.
- Breastmilk is a living food, full of immune-benefitting components. At one year of age, when babies are exploring their environment more, breastmilk has more immune boosting components.
- Breastfed babies only eat as much as they need.
- Breastmilk is sterile: it can be used for treating pink-eye, diaper rash, cradle cap, and minor cuts. Rub it onto your nipples if they are cracked and sore.
- Breastfeeding triggers the release of oxytocin, which creates a heightened feeling of relaxation in the mother and the baby.
Before your baby is born, try a visualisation technique for successful breastfeeding:
Keep in mind that breastfeeding is a skill that needs to be learned – if you need some support, there is help available in Brussels:
The La Leche League has a branch in Belgium. The site is www.lllbelgique.org
Breastfeeding (and bottle feeding) support can also be found through volunteers at the Brussels Childbirth Trust (www.bctbelgium.com)